Sunday, October 19, 2008

Life thus far

Hey all just wanted to give a quick update. Sorry I havent been able to update as often as I would like I live about a 35 min daladala ride from the town's internet cafe plus a mile walk to get to the actuyal daladala stand. Not the transportation that I want to do weekly (google it!). Well life has been going well it is week five and we just came back from Mikume park where I took some amazing pics.. I will update as soon as possible. My kiswahilli learning is going well... I was struggling at first but being in a ost family that does not speak english has forced me to really learn the language. I took my mid-exam on friday and the trainers said I was pretty awesome!!!My host mama is awesome..but sadly she as malaria now and is very very anal about everyting so i wont get it.... I get tucked in at night!! haha. I have been teachign for the past week and its going pretty well... although I feel horrible when the students ask me a question because it takes me about 5mins to even understand what tey are asking(and they are speaking english!!) Thus far I have lost about 15 lbs so I am pretty pumped although my mama is freaking out!! I am having the worst time adjusting to the food...very greasy and without spices of any kind... I was fooled at all of those OU African Celebrations that had spicy food!! haha.. well life is great. My swearing in date is on thanksgiving so while you all are eating thanksgiving goodness i will be making the most irrational and crazy decision of my life! Haha... its really great and I would love to hear from you all! Feel free and even slightly obligated to call me... Grandma and Monica Chillious have my number... so I am ordering everyone to make it happpen! The best time is 11pm - 1am and 11am -1pm (US TIME) I got to bed about 8pm. Also a letter would be nice... I am like the only one that doesnt get any mail I look like an orphan (guilt trip I hope it works)... so step it up!!! If you are really fancy and want to send a package here is my wish list:

Beef Jerky (seriously)
powder soup (chicken noodle)
mm's (any and every kind)
camp fan (runs by winding up... the mosquito nets are like heat trappers)
bbq sauce (dont judge me)
skittles/starburst

... and anything else you think i would enjoy!

Love you all and I miss you!! I still cant believe I am actually here.

Random fact I've learned: I am very very allergic to citrus.... funny story

3 comments:

  1. Hey Chica!

    Ok I admit I am a horrible slacker but I finally got into myspace to find your blog. Richard and I are studying all of the mail sending tips and, as you can image, Richard is comedically complaining about "92 cents? That's 3 stamps!" He says he misses you but most of all he misses your chicken and broccoli fettucine alfredo.

    I'm glad your adventures are going well. We pray for you and talk about how much we miss you. And of course we are looking forward to your stories when you return. We will definitely be praying for your mama, the rest of your host family and the kids that have to deal with your lack of understanding of the english language, lol. Tell them all we said hi.

    Love you & extremely proud of you,

    Cammie & Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you're enjoying yourself over there. I'm sure it's kinda tough to try and adjust to everything. I'm glad to hear you're doing good and the teaching is going well. You're a star and you'll shine. Just give it some time!

    Love ya,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Steph, hey what part of tanzania are you in? Any where near mt kilimangaro? I was looking on a map. talk to ya soon

    ReplyDelete