Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Time flies in Africa....not really haha

Life has been so hectic here, sorry about not posting for the past few months. School break has come and gone and now the second term of school is almost finished. During my month long break, I travelled to Moshi region to see another volunteer. His region is really awesome, with a major city a hour away. By major I mean a high tourist area, where you can get all types of American style food. I went with another volunteer and it didn't start off to well.... we ended up sleeping on a bus because one of the gears of the bus broke and we had to wait for another one to be brought. Basically a 6-hour bus ride ended up being a 22 hour trip. But it was awesome once we got there and I was glad I went. It was a week of pure gluttony and partying and was something I definitely needed.
My plans for a science lab have been put on hold (maybe indefinitely?). Since the school isn't able to contribute 50 percent of the total cost, we are unable to proceed. At first I was upset because I found some people from home that were interested in helping, but I realized that it is probably for the best. This term is when a lot of teachers leave to go to university and all the math and science teachers(besides two) left. It would have been pretty difficult/impossible to do this on my own or with a teacher that has no real motivation to help with this project. So now I am trying to do something else to occupy my time (besides teaching) and I'm thinking about starting a pen-pal program with some of my students. I think this will help improve their English and allow to get to know youth around the world. If you are interested in helping email me! Also, I am trying to team up with some teachers here and start a health club to teach the kids about sexuality, proper condom use, and HIV/AIDS. It seems that many people know the basic facts, but people are scared to talk openly about it and follow the things they need to do to keep safe.
I can't believe I have been here for almost a year! The new health and environment volunteers came last week and it is good to have new people around. One of them is replacing a volunteer and one is starting at a new site. Both are in villages. It's good living in town because I will be able to see them when they come to shop! The new education volunteers come in September and I heard that we are getting 3 new volunteers. I went and visited the other people in my region because one of them is leaving for grad school soon. It was great seeing them and we had a lot of fun. We ended up watching X-Men cartoons and that was an interesting blast from the past. Did anyone else know that the character Storm was from Dodoma, Tanzania? It thought that was random but cool. Haha, it guess it's a small world! Last weekend was so awesome! One of my friends who just finished her service in Tz, sent me and the other volunteer a box. It was soooo amazing, we sat watching "Sex In the City" and eating sugar cookies with icing all night! We had so much fun (although all the sugar from the icing made us a little slap happy!) Thanks Pendo! You made our weekend!
There has been a collection of random events here in Singida. I was having some issues with my form1 students and almost lost my mind. I have never been so irritated at kids in my life. After I got over it, some other things started happening at school. So I haven't really been teaching for the past week and a half. I'm not for sure what's going on entirely, but I am enjoying my little mini vacay! Also sometime in September, there is a week-long break and I am excited to travel. In the new group of kids that came, one girl is black and Greek. I've been keeping in contact with her and maybe if I can get to her site in one day I may go visit her. If not, I might just travel around the region seeing other people's sites. I plan on going to Uganda sometime this year to visit one of my friends that is going to University there. Hopefully that happens! Also, a friend at home is interested in visiting Egypt, so I might go also, because it'll be amazing seeing the pyramids! I've been told that there is a big celebration for Christmas and New Years on Zanzibar, so I think that's where I'll be. If I can't be at home enjoying the snow and the wonderful Christmas season, I mine as well be sitting on the beach, enjoying the sun and drinking fruity drinks!
Right now is Ramadan (A month-long fast for Muslims). While the sun is up, they aren't able to eat or drink anything. I've been told they do this so they can recognize (and change) their behaviors that are seperating them from their God. I am thinking about doing it next year (some cultural exchange), but this year, it is way too hot not to drink anything. I am almost positive I would die! But I will participate in the celebration that breaks the fast. One of my site mates lives in a majority Muslim village, so we are going to get outfits made and participate in the festivities. I'm excited to go there and learn more about the religion, I think it's a pretty awesome religion, just not for me.
I cant believe so much has changed at home.... People having babies, getting married, etc. Not to mention the blast from the past with my family. I am not too happy, but thank God I am in Africa, because I can only imagine what happening with my family. It's random and sad, but I guess if that's what makes him happy... he must go for it. Well I miss you all and I hope all is well with everyone. I will try to write in here more often. (* Oh yeah, a new Internet cafe opened in town and it is SUPER fast, like America! I am sooooo excited!)

14 months to go! :-)
~ Guess I should figure out what I am going to do next.....

No comments:

Post a Comment