Thursday, December 4, 2008

Life in the desert

Training is finally over!! Thank God! Not that I disliked training but I am glad to get away from being treated like a child and like I am incompetent! So I moved to my site I think three days ago and I am beginning to like it. It took 14 hours on a crammed bus to get here, but I was really grateful because it wasn't hot that day. We arrived in the evening and my headmaster suggested that it would be better that I stay in a hotel that night. So that was my last night of a nice warm shower... I moved into my house that next morning and what a pig sty it was. I was glad that I was replacing another volunteer and didnt have to start from scratch, but this place had so much crap in it and looked like it hadn't been cleaned for months.... So I started sweeping the layers of dust from the house and I came across the biggest lizard I ever seen! I started freaking out, I know lizards dont bite but I dont want them(yes i said them because I have found atleast 10 so far taking up residence) living in the house. A student comes over to see what the fuss was about and I tried to tell him to take it outside, so he beats it with a broom and it's all over. Not what I had in mind but Tanzanians don't let stuff go... it's either dead or alive...only one way out!



So the town I live in is quite nice! I can walk from my house to town in about 20mins. I have everything I need here: internet, post office, western item selling shop, and major sokoni (market for produce and other items). I live at the school and compared to other volunteers the mass quantity of lizards and the largest cockroaches that I ever saw in my life who randomly appear are mere child's play to other volunteers that battle scorpions and other scary creatures at their homes. I dont have any direct neigbors but if I walk to the other side of the school there are some wives of a few of the teachers that live near by. I went to visit them yesterday to get out and about and it was very akward because I dont know swahili and they dont know english... we could have a basic conversation and after that it would be over and we would just look at each other. I have met a few cool people here thus far, like the teacher that shows me around and the owner of the internet cafe that I usually go to. People for the most part are nice and decent except for the people in the sokoni that try to charge you 5 times the normal price since you arent Tanzanian.... freaking BS!!! I dont understand...it irritates me so much! Anyways, I met some of the students and they are suprised that I am American and that I am my age. Everyone thinks I am about 15 or 16 and that I am from a different part of Africa...haha

Things are good. I have gotten my PO Box number let me know if you want it! I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving and will be enjoying the christmas season! Love you all!

4 comments:

  1. HI Steph, yes i want your po box! I love getting your posts! Its so fun to hear about all the stuff your doing! Talk to you soon. Love, laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steph,
    Find your blog most interesting and informative, well done!
    Are you able to receive e-mails? Sent you one about things you needed upon arrival, but received no response.

    Racer

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey stephie,

    I miss you!! Keep wiritng :) oh and send me your PO box. I'm planning on sending some belated christmas things and some sweets here and there. Have fun!! and i'm sure i'll be texting you soon ;)

    ~Ess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steph you got it going on there dont you . Im glad your ok hope you been getting my letters I was trying to get on facebook but Tesha said I wasnt allowed on that so I will keep up with you here please give me your P.O. box hope to hear from you soon. Im so proud of you.

    Love Always
    April

    ReplyDelete