Tuesday, November 25, 2008

So are you a Negro??

As you can tell by the title, I have had an interesting past couple of weeks. Like I said before I am moving to the desert and I found out that the guy that I am replacing has left me a hot pink cape... dont even ask. And by the way the first question he asked me was "do you like camels?" How the hell do you answer that? Ummmm, yes I like them when I see them in the zoo?!? Well, come to find out, as I walk to school I will see camels and elephants (and at night there are supposedly heinnas (although this has yet to be confirmed or denied)). What did I get myself into...haha. One good thing is that elephant poop is an excellent fertillizer! Not that it's easy to grow stuff in the desert.....

Anywho, you are probably wondering about the title of this particular entry... A few days ago, I was outside hand washing my clothes in the death-defying heat and this old man who was cutting our bushes stopped to get some water. He mosied on over and asked me where I am from (because clearly I am can't be Tanzanian from the crappy job I am doing washing my clothes). I tell him America and he rubs his chin and asks me if I am an Negro?!? Hmmmmm.... how to answer that question. I mean technically I am because although it is an "frown-upon" word, it means to be black.... but then not really because I'm biracial. So I said no and tried to explain that I was African American and that didnt go over so well.... because how can I be African if I am American (uuugh.... the complicated prefixes that we use to describe everyone who is not white...why not just American!!!!) Anywho... the blessed one (haha..that's what they call barack obama here because barack means "blessed" in Kiswahilli) aided me in my description, because evidently I am too light to have origins from Africa. Since my Swahili is still elementary, I am sure that I did not get him to fully understand that I was an American... he kind of shook his head and said "ok, back to work" haha... but Hamna shida.

So tomorrow is the big day! I will officially be a Peace Corps volunteer! I am so excited and terrified out of my mind. I am so used to being around other people that speak english and having a family to go chill with when I get stressed out that I am a lil nervous about what I am going to do when I am by myself. I know it will be ok, but now I am a little frighten about being in a area all by myself and knowing a small amount of English. It will be good to be in my own place, being able to do things my own way! Although I am sure the moving process is goign to suck terribly! If you were about to send a care package, please hold off until I get my new address, because if not I may not be back to the Peace Corps office for a few months. Seeing that I am moving into a house... if you would like to send Awesome things to decorate my home (nothing too fancy) I would appreciate it! Oh yeah, when you send things PLEASE DO NOT DECLARE EACH INDIVIDUAL ITEM... JUST WRITE EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS!! Thanks, it was ok when my things were sent to the Peace Corps office, but now there is no security and resistance from things getting raided... ( Email me in a few weeks and I will send you my address, I cant put it up here)

If you were wondering what kind of things I would like, here is a small list ( but let your mind go wild):
*Peanut butter M&M's
*Ramen noodle packets
*Calender
*Fly swatter
*Pictures
*Magazines
*Juice Packets
*Beef Jerky & other meats( if you ever send something this should be included...thanks :-))
*Spices (Ms. Dash, taco seasoning, dried ranch packets)
*Other Awesome things ( like a nice letter)

But honestly don't feel obligated to send anything... it's great if you do though! So I have found out that we are in Dar on Thanksgiving, so I may give my cousin a call that lives there... hopefully he wont mind. Last time he was out of the country I guess....

It feels so good to move away, because being involved in a big group means you find people that you are too fond of.... but soon they wont be a problem! Oh yeah, my sister is having a baby!!! ( And so are other people but I wont put there business in the street...lol) It's a girl! It's so weird that life is going on without me...people are pregnant, getting married, joining Greek orgs....aghh it's too much! I love you all and keep me posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment